Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Day in the Life...

Bonjour (ou bonsoir de Paris)!

Man, time flies when you're having fun! I often find myself looking down at my watch in the afternoon and realizing that it is much later than I actually thought it was. Just so you can get an idea of my day, I usually get up around 7 am (during the week), I eat some breakfast (either cereal or a pain au chocolat, just some stuff I have bought from the Monoprix), and then get ready for school. I try to get on the Metro by 8:10, and then head down two stops to school. I have my language class at La Sorbonne from 8:30 to 10:30 in the morning, and then I have a half hour break and my phonetics class from 11-12. Then I am done school for the day! Phonetics is by far my favorite class, which is sad because I only have it for two of the four weeks of class. I really enjoy learning how to pronounce words and learning how to slur them all together like the french do!

When I'm done class for the day, I will usually head with some friends into the Latin Quarter to get some lunch at one of the many cafes and restaurants around...it's really the "Student Quarter" so there are a lot of places with good deals. And it's right next to the Luxembourg Gardens, which is a really nice place to sit and eat lunch (except for when it rains, like it did last Thursday when I was eating lunch in the gardens!). We will usually wander around then, maybe hitting some of the high spots. Like today, I went and visited Notre Dame, which was really close by. Other days, I have wandered around the Latin Quarter, or gone to the Cimitiere du Pere Lachaise and Sacre Coeur. Also, some days I am just really tired so I go and sit in a park and read a book! Don't worry, I also do my homework. I haven't been getting much actual "homework", but I've come to realize that they really expect more out of their students here. If you want to succeed in a class,you need to do hours of studying outside of it...which I guess is like in the US, too, but I still don't feel like I would study as much in the US.

After visiting my momument of the day, I will meet up with friends who are also in my program but go to Institut-Catholique. They have longer class days than us for two days of the week. They're getting more credits, but I'm having more fun! We'll then goand find some dinner, or go to someone's place to make some food. We've had pasta, tacos, and raviolis in the past week...yum! We will also sometimes deicide to hit up someplace cooler, like when we went to the Hard Rock Cafe this week for dinner one night. It was cool, but really expensive and I don't think I'll go back! But it was nice having an "American" meal after two weeks of almost nothing but bread and cheese! Not that I'm complaining, because I love love love bread and cheese, but a nice big cheeseburger is nice too sometimes.

The French usually have bigger lunches than dinners, so I won't usually eat much. I'll then head back to my dorm, where I will do homework, laundry (in this spiffy little washing machine called my sink!) and general stuff like that. I try to make it to bed by 11 pm, but that has yet to happen. I guess I'll just survive on my 6 hours of sleep!

A bientot!

No comments: